Liam lives in Ardfinnan in Tipperary. He was a member of the Gard Síochána from 1975 to 2006 during which he gained first-hand knowledge of property theft amongst other crimes.
Between 2005 and 2016 he worked in a variety of roles in Muintir na Tíre which included acting as National Coordinator of the Community Alert Program, managing the Tipperary Community Safety Project, Managed an SEAI Warmer Homes Program and managed the Irish element of an Interreg transnational project.
February 2005 to June 2016
- National Co-Ordinator of Community Alert Programme.with Muintir na Tire managing the programme in partnership with An Garda Siochana Community Relations Bureau with responsibility for 1500 groups nationally.
- In that time I developed the Pilot Community Alert TEXT Alert programme in 2008 in partnership with An Garda Siochana which was subsequently developed into the Community Alert TEXT Alert Programme in use today.
- Managed Tipperary Community Safety project liaising with the FAS Community Employment Supervisor and managing 25 Community Employment Participants carrying out repairs and upgrades to homes of vulnerable home owners from July 2009 to June 2016
- Managed the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland Warmer Homes programme as a Community Based Organisation providing Free Home Insulation to homeowners at risk of Fuel Poverty from 2010 to 2014 again using FAS Community Employment and Tús participants for Co. Tipperary.
- Managed the Irish element of an INTERREG 4A Programme Celtic Community Link in Partnership with Carmarthen Association of Voluntary Services in Wales from 2010 to 2013
- Also managed a number of programmes whilst employed with Muintir na Tire as follows, Elder Abuse training in partnership with the HSE. Mobile Phone Training for communities in partnership with the Benefit 11 programme. Saorview Switchover for rural communities in association with RTE. Other Community Based programmes regarding Community Safety, Road Safety etc.
August 1973 to January 2005
- I was a member of An Garda Siochana. Initially I served in Ballyconnell District Co. Cavan before transferring to Cahir District Co, Tipperary in 1978 where I remained until my retirement. I was also a PULSE IT Trainer for the Tipperary Garda Division from 1999 training the Divisional Force in basic IT Skills and the PULSE IT system and also provided ongoing support.
October 2013 Level 6 Minor Award for Corporate Governance for the Voluntary Sector.
June 2003 Joint Examining Board Teaching Diploma in Information Technology.
August 1972 Leaving Certificate in Presentation College Birr Co. Offaly